11.28.2008

Tales of a "Slumdog Millionaire"


this morning on ONTD, someone posted a new song by M.I.A that is featured in the beginning scenes of the Indian independent film "Slumdog Millionaire". with a look at the trailer, it seems like the movie is pretty good! direction looks good, nice music (minus the overplayed Ting Ting's "Great DJ"), and the plot seems rivoting. ill have to find some way to see this. M.I.A's involvement certainly secures its credibility for me.

after you watch the trailer above, listen to the song "O...Saya"


M.I.A also talks about the first artist under her new label:
The soundtrack to "Slumdog Millionaire" will mark the first release on M.I.A.'s Interscope label, N.E.E.T. In 2009, M.I.A. said, the label will release her first signing, Baltimore's teenage rapper Rye Rye, whose club rave-up, "Shake It to the Ground," comes off as a more Americanized M.I.A., but no less energetic or resilient.

Working with Rye Rye, said M.I.A., has inspired her to get back into the studio to work on her third record. She offered no timetable. "I’m just writing," said M.I.A., who is pregnant with her first child. "You have to be in the habit of writing as much as possible. I don’t have any sort of process. I have all the artwork done and everything, but I don’t have any thoughts as to how this album should sound. It’s weird. I just need to find where I am and what I’m thinking."

She excitedly speaks of Rye Rye as a sort of pet project, noting she does all of Rye Rye's "production, and I do all her styling. I dye her weave." The 17-year-old rapper has a more hard-core club sound than M.I.A.'s globe-trotting electronics, and it sounds like being a label
head has provided M.I.A. an opportunity to live vicariously. "Rye Rye's record was really clubby, and that’s where I started, and she fits that so well," M.I.A. said. "Her music has so much energy. I kind of exhaust with that her. So when I’m sitting down to write my own music, it’s coming from a different place. I want to be able to do things that I feel like are not getting said."


thanks to this person for find all of this!

No comments: