8.29.2008

M.I.A not to be M.I.A for long.


really, i have some mixed emotions about M.I.A's recent decision to come out of retirement. theres a lot of the "i was a fan before pineapple express" game being played and its taking everything in me not to be one of those people.

the truth is, i got into M.I.A after hearing the song Boyz around the March time frame, which is relatively recent. i enjoyed the song paper planes for about a month or so and gradually began to avoid it at all costs. it annoyed me that it was on the promo for Pineapple express because the song meant something to me that seemed against what the movie was about.

now some of my best friends "love M.I.A" all of the sudden, and what i want them to realize is that paper planes is unlike any song shes done. its completely out of the ordinary. all of her other work is soooooo much better and i guarantee that most of the new fans will not like the other songs or take a while to get used to them.

what this recent success has done, however, is turn on a lightbulb in maya's head thats telling her to return to making music. anyone who knows any facts about her knows she started out as an artist, in its most literal form, and then began experimenting with 505 machines. she co produced and co wrote all of her music originally for someone else to "sing" i guess would be the most correct word.

although i dont think any of the press she has released lately guarantees a new album, she is certainly thinking about it. i just hope she stays true to Arular and Kala and doesnt commercialize her genius. to me, that music is sacred and was even more sacred when i knew she wasnt coming back. heck, maybe ill at least get to see her live this time, since last time didnt work out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

first half of Pineapple Express was about half as good as Knocked Up; the second half was almost as bad as Freddy God Fingered